A little bit of fun history, ethylene glycol is rumored to have first been produced in 1859 by a French chemist by the name of Charles-Adolph Wurtz. In 1925 the first large commercial plant was opened in West Virginia.
Ethylene glycol is a common part of our everyday lives, it is part of many things we take for granted, such as air conditioning, cars and even computers. It is part of the de-icing fluids and even part of preserving organs.
Many people are aware of the poisonous effect, anti-freeze poisoning is something many parents are warned about. Due to the sweet taste it is a chemical that can easily attract animals and children. The toxicity first affects the central nervous system, then the heart and kidneys. If untreated, poisoning can be fatal.